You will find resources and tools to assist with second-hand smoke or implementing a no-smoking policy in your building below:
- A Landlord & Property Manager’s Guide to Smoke-Free Housing in English and French
- The Business Case for Smoke-Free Housing in English and French
- How to Implement a No-Smoking Policy for Multi-Unit Housing
- Smoke-Free Housing (YouTube video)
- Standard lease language for smoking rules
- Human Rights and No-Smoking Policies for Multi-Unit Housing
- Landlord’s Self-Help Centre, a non-profit community legal clinic for small Ontario landlords, provides information, advice and referrals.
- Ontario Human Rights Commission – Policy on Human Rights and Rental Housing
- Can the Smell of Second-Hand Smoke Constitute Damage?
- Welcome to our Smoke-free Building sign example 1
- Welcome to our Smoke-free Building sign example 2
- This Unit is Smoke-Free sign
- This building is transitioning to smoke-free housingsign
- Second-Hand Smoke in Multi-Unit Housing: A Tenant’s Guide
- Legal Aid Ontario – Legal aid is available to low income individuals and disadvantaged communities for poverty law issues such as landlord and tenant disputes.
- Human Rights Legal Support Centre offers legal services such as assistance filing an application for the Landlord and Tenant Board and representation on human rights applications for people who believe they have experienced discrimination.
- Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario defends low-income renters and co-op members.
Sample Tools for Tenants
- Log sheet to trackexposure to second-hand smoke
- Complaint letter
- Physician letter
- Checklist for Landlord and Tenant Board hearing
- Human Rights and No-Smoking Policies for Multi-Unit Dwellings
- Telehealth Ontario 1-866-797-00003 provides free confidential access to a trained Quit Specialist by phone to provide support quitting smoking
- Interpreters are available
- Smokers’ Helpline Online Support provides tips, tools and support to quit smoking 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Smokers’ Helpline Text Support – text iQuit to 123456 to received support from a live Quit Coach during business hours and text messages customized to your quit date
- Smokers’ Helpline Quit Map lists programs and services for quitting smoking by location
- STOP on the Road provides free nicotine replacement therapy and counselling support
- Local Public Health Unit provides free smoking cessation support